- This event has passed.
Bharatanatyam 101 By Apsaras Arts
March 12 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Introduction to Bharatanatyam: One of the Classical Dance forms of India
- Duration: 60mins
- Meeting Point: Goodman Grows Community Farm
- Fees: S$5
- Age Group: 5 to 10 years
There is a general perception that Indian Classical dance cannot be appreciated because of language barriers or the art form is simply unfathomable. The workshop aims to break this mindset by introducing the fundamental aesthetics of Indian Classical dance in both its indigenous and modern contexts in a simplified and yet easily understood manner.
The structured lecture-demonstration will include the use of visual presentation and “live” demonstration by the students of Apsaras Arts. References to nature, animals, common folklore stories, history, architecture and carefully selected social elements will be used in the lecture-demonstrations to help participants easily identify with the subject matter. In so doing, participants will develop a comfort level and confidence in attempting to watch an Indian Classical dance repertoire, hence nurturing and developing a keen interest in the appreciation of the Indian Classical dance form.
About the Artists
Apsaras Arts was founded in Singapore in 1977 by Shri S Sathyalingam and Smt Neila Sathyalingam, alumni and former faculty members of Kalakshetra, India. With over four decades of prolific international productions, Apsaras Arts has grown into a premier Indian dance company in the region that has gained recognition in Indian dance-theatre, enjoying successful performances and following worldwide.
Since 2005, under the leadership of Aravinth Kumarasamy, an award winning Artistic Director, Apsaras Arts has transformed into a premier professional performing company, focusing on creating new works which are presented at international festivals. Apsaras Arts dancers and musicians have toured to more than forty countries across the globe and collaborated with leading dance companies, legendary dancers, choreographers, composers and presenters from the international Indian dance fraternity.
Apsaras Arts is a non-profit registered charity in Singapore, and is the recipient of the Singapore National Arts Council’s annual Major Grant scheme. The company is guided by an advisory board comprising of eminent personalities connected with the arts community in Singapore and the region.
Set at the Goodman Grows Community Farm
- Goodman Grows is a socially-driven community farm and art initiative where artists, food growers, nature and community converge and collaborate.
- Goodman Grows aims to cultivate an eco-culture that is resilient through active engagement, collaboration with artists, exploring earth care solutions and impactful art | food | nature | community experiences and content.
- Goodman Grows is presented by AHL in partnership with Cultivate Central located at Goodman Arts Centre.
** Kindly note that from 1 Feb 2022, visitors entering Arts House Limited venues will have to be fully vaccinated. Only individuals who have recovered from COVID-19 within 180 days, medically ineligible for COVID-19 vaccination, and children aged 12 years and below may be exempted from Vaccination-Differentiated Safe Management Measures (VDS).**
Additional Information to Take Note:
Capacity: 30 pax per session. This is a limited capacity programme. Each session is only open for 30 pax and all participants are required to keep to groups of 5 or less.
– Please arrive 15 mins before your start time to register, complete safe entry check in and to use the washroom within the Goodman Arts Centre if needed.
– Admission is subject to tickets produced at the meeting point.
– This work involves interaction with objects/people. Hand sanitising stations will be made available at all points.
– Participants are to observe safe distancing measures and keep their masks on at all times during this trail.
– Recommended for 5 years old and above.
– We strongly encourage all participants to conduct self-testing via an antigen rapid test (ART) before attending this programme.
– Tickets sold are non-refundable.
- Advisory on COVID-19: Your well-being and safety are important to us. We seek your cooperation in following the mandatory safe management measures when attending this programme.
- Attire: This is an indoor movement workshop. Please come in comfortable attire and footwear that can be easily removed and put back on.
- Weather: This is a rain or shine event. In the case of wet weather, please come in non-slip footwear and bring a poncho.
- Latecomers: There is no lockout policy but note that the experience will start promptly at your registered start time.