- This event has passed.
IHC Kranji Farm Tour (Afternoon Session)
January 14 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Sessions are available on 14th Jan at 9 am and 2 pm. Join in and get tickets now!
A sensorial retreat in nature for inquisitive urban city dwellers to fully experience the deep-rooted Tamil cultures and heritage, celebrating the real essence of Pongal.
Recommended Age: This workshop is suitable for participants 10 years and above.
- Learn the significance and preparation of Pongal and witness the iconic boiling over of milk in a clay pot in a farm setting.
- Hands-on experience making jaggery(Palm Sugar) from freshly harvested sugarcane.
- LIVE station – Savour freshly made crispy vadais
- Guided farm tour, exploring herbs and spices native to Indian culture
- Experience weaving palm leaves to make a popular decorative thoranams
Visiting a working farm is a rare opportunity for many who are used to an urban environment to learn about farming and how the food they eat comes about. The journey begins with a live cooking demonstration of the traditional Pongal dish, followed by many hands-on interactive stations where you can learn about the significance of Pongal through fun activities.
The meeting point is at IHC. Transport is provided to Kranji Farm. Please wear appropriate shoes and attire, and bring an umbrella/raincoat, water bottle and extra pair of clothes. Please bring along hand towels/wipes, mosquito patches, and a recyclable carry bag. Snacks and food are not included. Registration begins 20 minutes before the start of the programme; please be on time. The bus will depart at 9.15 am and 2.15 pm, respectively. The tour will be around 2.5 hours, including travelling time.
About IHC Open House 2023:
The annual Indian Heritage Centre (IHC) will celebrate the Pongal over two weekend-long festivals through art performances, craft workshops, lecture demonstrations and Little India trails. The festival hopes to promote a greater sense of pride and identity in the rich cultural heritage of Singapore. The Open House will be happening on 7 – 8 and 14 – 15 Jan 2023.
For more information, visit https://www.indianheritage.gov.sg/en or https://www.facebook.com/indianheritagecentre/.
By agreeing to join the workshop, each participant shall be responsible for any injury, loss or damage due to carelessness or other actions on his/her part or that of children under his/her charge.
- The workshop will start on time.
- Photographs may be taken for marketing and publicity purposes.
- We do not accept cash payments.
- No refund/exchange of tickets is allowed under any circumstance except for workshop cancellation by IHC.
- Please present your electronic or printed ticket(s) and vaccination status to join this workshop. We are unable to cater for walk-in registrations.
- If you cannot locate the museum by the event’s starting time, please have your phone on standby for us to contact you for further instructions.
- Recommended Age: This workshop is suitable for participants 10 years and above.
If the workshop has to be cancelled due to unforeseen reasons, participants will be informed via email (a few days before the workshop) and SMS (2 hours before the workshop).
Participants will receive a full refund in case of tour cancellation via Peatix.